Monday, December 29, 2014

Completions for 2010


Welp... another huge gap between stitching projects. We moved the summer of 2006 and Heather was born that fall. I got back into playing World of Warcraft and then Hunter came along in 2008. I think the only time I lifted a needle in that entire span was when I was ordered to bed rest while pregnant. Fast forward to summer 2008: Another move right back to where we were in 2006 (YAY!!!) and the World of Warcraft addiction has finally been kicked!

Now I'm back in the stitching groove and having a ball. Of course, I'm working on a large, very color intensive project, so this page may have exactly TWO completions by the end of the year, but we'll see! I'll just have to keep the WIP page updated instead, I guess.



"I Will Praise Thee" from the book "Bookmarks from the Psalms" by Praying Hands

After our move, we fell back into our prior routine with all the church activities and that meant I got to go buy a new Bible. Of course, you HAVE to have a new bookmark to go with a new book, right?? Okay, so I actually completed this in 2009, but since this is the ONLY thing that I completed in 2009, I thought it might be kind of lonely all by itself.

It's likely going to be May or June before anything else gets posted on this page. So if you're interested in what I'm up to, you're gonna have to check out the WIP page. No laughing!!!





"Happy Ever After" from Stoney Creek's "Best of Stoney Creek Wedding Collection (Book 318)"

Well at least I got the May part right. Of course, I was talking about the wolf when I said that, but who's gonna gripe?

Her wedding is in 6 days and I still have to get this framed, but at least I have something for her to open up and show off now! Once I got past the dove, it was a quick stitch over all. I could have screamed... actually I think I did scream... when I stitched up all of the words only to get to the bottom line and realize it was off by one row. So, one day was spent ripping out a lot of stitching. But other than that, it went smoothly. I have to admit that I was intimidated by the beads since I've never used beads before, but I was pleasantly surprised by how easy they were to apply. I'm especially pleased with the way the fabric colors make it look like sky for the background. Aren't hand dyed linens wonderful?? I stitched on 32 ct Belfast Linen. It was dyed by Silkweaver's and called "Blue Dynasty".




"Fall Cat" from Cross My Heart, Inc's "Fall and Winter Cats"

Since this piece is going to be used as a quilt square I only stitched the inner square of the design, and even that took me three months to do (twice what I'd expected). The completed quilt will be gifted to a boy named Charlie and I have the sinking feeling that my square is holding up the entire project since it took me so long to finish.

I'm very proud of this one and intend to do it again, along with the three companion pieces, to be framed and hung in my home. Autumn is probably my favorite season because of all the rich, warm colors to be found pretty much everywhere you look and I just love how this design manages to catch all of them in one fell swoop.  Hrmm... if I'm not careful, I'm gonna end up turning around and starting this one again right now...




"I Have to Scream" by The Sunflower Seed

A really quick project, it only took me four days to complete this one, and that long because the kids wouldn't let me shove them into a closet while I stitched uninterrupted. *grumble* Children have no sense of priorities... really.

Thanks, Michelle! I loved stitching this up and sadly, it really does sum up my typical day of late. I'm told that tends to be normal when a two year old and three year old live in the same house. *cringe*

"I Have to Scream" was stitched on 28 ct Powder Blue Meran. I was initially concerned that I'd have to start over and use a different color because I didn't think the green would stand out enough, but that turned out to be an unnecessary worry. The yellow box really jumps out and that's what I had been aiming for so I'm pleased with the finished product.




"Roses and Music" by Kappie Original Redeux, LLC

I stitched this design on 28 ct Lugana. The color is called Fairy Dust and is actually a pretty yellowish tint as opposed to the beige the photo seems to insist on. I'm not sure I chose a very good color, though. There are supposed to be shadows under the roses and while they're very clear and obvious on the model, they aren't that easy to see on mine.

I was excited to start working on this gift and the cart is very easy to read for the most part. However, there are numerous things that I considered errors and had to correct.  Several lines of the music staffs weren't complete on the chart, as can be seen on the model in the link. I felt it left the design looking unfinished and added them into mine. The backstitching slowed things down a little bit because there are three different colors used and with a black white chart it's very easy to lose track of what you're stitching and use the wrong color in places, especially where the leaves and music staff lines cross. The alphabet was also inconsistent. Some letters were scaled to 8 squares while the rest were scaled to 7. The letters used in "United In Love" didn't match the alphabet included for the customization, either.  By the time I got to the words, however, it was a minor inconvenience and I was used to changing things anyway.

This won't be gifted until late October and it's intended to be an anonymous gift, but I'm really oping the couple this is for are pleased with it. *crossing fingers* (I'd hold my breath, but it's an awfully long time til October...)





"Black and Tan Dachsund" by White Willow Stitching

I started this guy the first week of July and somehow managed to convince myself that it would be ready for framing by August. I swear if Steve snickers and mutters "delusional" one more time I'll be able to use justifiable homicide as an acceptable defense.

I suppose that since we're preparing for Halloween in a couple of days I should probably concede his point, though. Just don't expect me to do it willingly!

The dachsie was stitched onto "Bay Rum" colored 32 ct Jobelan and, despite taking 4 months to complete, was quite a fun stitch.  Well, okay, there was a bit of a love-hate thing going on. I loved working on him. My back absolutely hated it. (One of these years I'll be able to get a floor stand.)

This is going to be a gift for one of our pastors and his wife. I'm not quite sure when I'll be able to give it to them, however. There's the matter of framing and finding a suitable excuse to bestow gifts... I had hoped to make this an anonymous gift as well as the roses above, but I've managed to become... well, it's gotten around the church that I cross stitch regularly and apparently I'm the only one.  I'm told that everyone's going to know who did them anyway, so being all stealthy is kind of pointless. Now I REALLY hope they like it, since I can't pretend it wasn't me! *gulp*




S20 - Toy Story 2 - "Buzz Lightyear"
A kit by Designer Stitches

Stitched on white 14 ct Aida, Buzz here was stitched up for a friend of Hunter's who spotted our original when I was taking it in for framing (nine years after he was completed *blush*). He took me about 10 days to stitch because I kept getting distra - ooh! Shiny!!

*blink*

I mean... ummm...

Sadly, the company that made this kit years and years ago seems to have gone out of business. Heather is extremely disappointed that there won't be a Jessie or Bullseye to go up on the wall next to the Woody and Buzz already hanging in their room. But, I'm assured that little Connor is going to love this, with or without the rest of the gang.





(Originally typed up in 2010)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whenever possible, I will create a link for the project title and designer in case anyone wishes to add anything to their stash.  Most times, an active link will direct you to 1-2-3 Stitch!'s online store as I've never had a bad customer service experience with this company and I tend to be loyal to a fault.  If the item is no longer for sale through Joanne, I will do my best to find another active seller, but please be forgiving if something goes out of print and my links lead you on a wild goose chase before I'm aware of their shenanigans.

No comments:

Post a Comment